The Borough of Wandsworth has a wide range of play spaces that offer stimulating and wide-ranging play opportunities for children of all ages and abilities.
Providing places where children, young people and families can play, have fun and socialise is important for children’s physical and emotional health. It supports children’s well-being and development by offering activities that stretch their abilities and encourage their imagination. It increases their confidence and self awareness, allowing them to learn how to evaluate and manage risk.
It also helps parents and carers by offering free, accessible, welcoming spaces for children and families to enjoy. Local communities benefit, as children and young people have places to go and things to do. These play spaces enhance community life and helps to reduce friction, and anti-social behaviour.
In order to promote health and fitness, it is vitally important that children are encouraged to engage in play, physical activities, team sports and imaginative games. Play spaces are a great place for this to happen.
Playgrounds are now open, but please follow these simples rules to help minimise the risk of spreading the virus:
- Do not enter the play areas or use play equipment if you, or any member of your household, has Coronavirus symptoms or are self-isolating
- Children should not use the play equipment if they are clinically vulnerable
- Make sure you have hand sanitiser with you before entering play areas and encourage everyone in your family to wash their hands regularly with hand sanitiser, especially before and after using any play equipment
- Encourage children to avoid touching their faces
- You must maintain social distancing from others unless they are from the same household - current advice is to maintain at least 1m distance and consider wearing a face mask
- To help maintain safe social distancing only one adult per group is allowed into the playground. As an adult you are responsible for maintaining social distancing from other users
- Some play equipment can only be used by one child at a time to allow for safe distancing. Please ensure your family waits at a safe distance if the play equipment is in use or return later
- No food or drink is to be consumed within the play areas
- Try to avoid busy times
- If your family is wearing disposable PPE, please take it home with you or where provided use the bins – do not leave any form of litter behind
- Wash your hands when you get home