Childcare registered with Ofsted, is available in Wandsworth for children with special educational needs and or disabilities (SEND) up to 13 years old, from childminders, nurseries, nannies ( or "homebased childcarers") , after school centres and breakfast clubs and holiday playcentres.
After the age of 13 specialist holiday provision and some after school care is available in the voluntary and youth sectors. Youth Centres, both mainstream and those specially for young people with SEND provide after school and holiday activities.
Using Ofsted registered childcare ensures children and young people will
- be looked after by trained staff, and
- get the opportunity to mix with others.
Parents and carers may be able to reduce the cost of childcare by
- using childcare vouchers or
- claiming additional working tax credits
- using the 15 hours free nursery education place for all 3 and 4 year olds
- using the 15 hours free nursery education place for some 2 year olds. This now includes children who receive Disability Living Allowance or have an Education Health and Care Plan or Statement of Special Educational Needs.
If you are looking for childcare for a child with a disability or special educational needs, many of the childcare providers listed on the THRIVE Wandsworth website will have had experience with children with SEND, this is described on their webpages either in their description of their setting or under “ Other details”.
If you are having difficulty finding suitable childcare, please contact Thrive Wandsworth and we can help you or refer you to our Childminding Team.
Can't find what you are looking for? Contact us:
020 8871 7899
Text us on 07797 805 456 - text THRIVEW at the beginning of your message