Skip to main content Live Chat

Where will I live?

Having a stable, appropriate place to live is fundamental to building a positive, meaningful future. This is no different for young people with SEND.

The first step is supporting young people to think about how they want to live and then understand what options are available to them.  Visiting the "Where to live?" Wiki is one way to find out about where to live.

Staying at home Many young people  will want to stay close to their families and this might mean living at home. However, this does not mean you cannot live independently within your family home.  This could be with the support offered by Supported Housing (see below).  Or by working out with your family what areas you would like more independence - your own keys, choosing, buying and cooking meals, when you can come and go and much more - balancing your preferences with their natural concern to keep you and the rest of your family safe.  read about  Just enough support.

Buying or renting a home  This is very expensive in Wandsworth and most young people will need to save up for a considerable time for a deposit on a privately rented home - up to twice the monthly rent - and have quite a high income to afford the rent and other costs.  Buying a home also requires a large sum of money for a deposit and an income high enough to pay a mortgage and all the other bills of home ownership.

Inheriting/being left or given a home.  If a family owns their home and want to give or leave it to a son or daughter with SENDs, it is very important that they take proper legal and financial advice.  This may be to set up a trust or other legal structure to make sure that their child  and their  property are secure.  The Money Advice Service can help with understanding this.  Your family will need to employ a suitably qualified lawyer (solicitor) to do the legal work and appoint trustees to run the trust.

Supported Housing This is also called Supported Living or Independent Living. What this means is that you have your own home,  rented or owned by you or living with your family and support is put in place to help you live independently. This could mean that you are supported for a few hours a week, every day, overnight or for 24 hours a day. The support is carefully planned to meet your needs to live independently.

Read more about supported living

Council and other Social Housing Options Social housing is a home rented to you by either the council or a housing association (HA) in the borough. Social housing is usually self-contained and unfurnished.

Types of social housing  and Applying to join the housing waiting list. 

Residential care This is one option if you are assessed as needing care and support. This option is only available to people with the highest level of needs.  Care homes will vary in size but provide a safe, secure setting with 24 hour staffing support. People who live in residential care have their own bedrooms but may share some other rooms like the living room.

Read more about residential care

Can't find what you are looking for? 

You can call or email THRIVE Wandsworth

If you would prefer to meet someone to talk, with an interpreter or signer if you need one, please call THRIVE Wandsworth to make an appointment at the Town Hall.

We can see people who drop in to the Customer Centre at the Town Hall, but only if a Disability Information Officer is available.