Short Breaks and Social Care

Short Breaks and Social Care both give children and young people the chance to spend time away from their families, gain independence, learn new skills and have fun with friends.

Short breaks give parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) the chance to have a "break" from their caring responsibilities, to rest, spend time with their other children, or to enjoy a leisure activity themselves. 

Many families tell us they want to enjoy time together doing ordinary activities, this is where the short breaks offered by the Disabled Children's Register (DCR), WAND and WAND+ cards can help, offering free and low cost family activities in school holidays which include Go Ape!, Flip Out, films at Cineworld, Battersea Park Children's Zoo,  and much more.

Social Care, (sometimes called "respite care" ), where a disabled child or young person is able to go to stay, away from home, is available to some children and young people who have been allocated a social worker from the 0 to 25 Disability Team and who after a Children and Family Assessment are considered eligible for social care.

Can't find what you are looking for? Contact us: 
020 8871 7899
Text us on 07797 805 456 - text FIS at the beginning of your message