Free Early Education Places for Two-Year-Olds with Special Educational Needs and / or Disabilities
Some two year old children with special educational needs and / disabilities (SEND) are entitled to up to 15 hours of free early education for 38 weeks of the year from the term after their second birthday. This normally runs until the child starts in nursery education the term after their third birthday.
Families must meet certain criteria, to be eligible for a place. Parents/carers must live in the borough of Wandsworth and:
- the child has a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan), or
- the child receives Disability Living Allowance, or
- the child has left care through special guardianship, adoption order or residence order.
Alternatively, if the famiily is getting at least one of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Job Seekers' Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- the Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit
- Working Tax Credit and have annual gross earnings of no more than £16,190 per year
Visit the Early Education Places for Two year olds section of the THRIVE Wandsworth website for more details.
Who to contact
To use this service you:
- Can refer your own child
Your child needs to:
- have a statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan), or
- receive Disability Living Allowance, or
- the child has left care through special guardianship, adoption order or residence order
If you think your child may have special educational needs, contact the ‘SEN co-ordinator’, or ‘SENCO’ in your child’s school or nursery.
Contact THRIVE Wandsworth on 020 8871 7899 if your child isn’t in a school or nursery. Alternatively, your local Information, Advice and Support (IAS) Service can give you advice about SEN.
Last updated: 25 Feb 2020