The Care Act 2014
From April 2015 the Care Act 2014 will become law. The Care Act modernises English adult (over 18 year olds) social care law.
Key areas of change for April 2015 include:
- General responsibilities on local authorities including promoting people’s wellbeing, focusing on prevention and providing information and advice,
- The introduction of a consistent, national eligibility criteria,
- New rights to support for carers,
- Legal right to a personal budget and direct payment,
- The extension of local authority adult social care responsibility to include prisons,
- New responsibilities around transition, provider failure, supporting people who move between local authority areas, safeguarding and advocacy,
- How information and advice is made available to Wandsworth residents.
Sources of information include a range of Factsheets produced by the Department of Health, as well as their guidance on the how local authorities should deliver the care and support reforms.
Who to contact