Discretionary Care Grant
The Discretionary Care Grant (replacing the Community Care Grant) is money to help with a family's need for community care.
It is given to help a family under exceptional stress or to help them look after someone who is ill or disabled.
They can be awarded to:
- help people establish in the community following a stay in an institution or care home in which they received care
- help people remain in the community rather than enter an institution or care home in which they will receive care
- ease exceptional pressures on people and their families
- help people set up home in the community, as part of a planned resettlement programme, following an unsettled way of life
- help people to care for a prisoner or young offender on release on temporary licence
- help people with expenses to make certain journeys such as visiting someone who is ill.
To be eligible for the grant you need to be a Wandsworth resident. Also, you must be in receipt of a relevant benefit, such as:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
- Pension Credit, or
- Payment on account of one of them (or about to get any of them on leaving an institution or residential accommodation in which you have received care).
You can get a grant for:
- furniture (like bed, wardrobe, tables and chairs)
- household equipment (like cooker, fridge, washing machine, carpet, curtains)
- travel costs
- removal expenses
- storage charges
- connection charges
If you would like more information or would like to apply for a discretionary care grant please visit the website. Please note that the telephone number is for making an application only and is not an advice line.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Town Hall
Wandsworth High Street
- SW18 2PU
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
Last updated: 29 Jun 2020