Speech and Language Therapy Service for Deaf Children and Young People
We are a team of speech and language therapists (SLTs) who have specialist skills and experience in working with deaf children and young people.
We work with children and young people who have moderate to profound, permanent, bilateral hearing loss in pre-school settings, mainstream primary schools and two specialist provisions for deaf students in Wandsworth. We may also sup-port other deaf children and young people by offering advice and second opinions to the SLTs working with them.
Some key aims of our service are:
- to provide support to deaf children as early as possible, to help prevent or reduce later difficulties with communication;
- to support and empower parents and carers to develop their deaf child’s communication skills;
- to collaborate with and support other key people in the deaf child’s life, e.g. nursery or school staff;
- to help parents and carers to understand the different ways that their child might communicate, at different stages in their development. This may include non-verbal communication, speech, sign and other visual systems; and
- to maximise independence and functional life skills in deaf children and young people.
We can start to help as soon as your child has a diagnosis of hearing loss.
Referrals can come from parents, carers or professionals working with the child or young person.
The flyer below has lots more information regarding the service, or please call the number below.
Who to contact
Tel: 020 8673 7315
Fax: 020 8673 9397
Where to go
- Speech and Language Therapy
c/o Oak Lodge School, 101
- SW12 8NA
- Get directions
To use this service parents and carers can contact them direct, or a professional working with your child or young person can make a referral.
Last updated: 29 Apr 2019