Wandsworth Autism Advisory Service - Information for Professionals
The Wandsworth Autism Advisory Service (WAAS) is a single multi professional team that supports schools/ settings and families in Wandsworth to achieve the best possible outcomes for children and young people with autism. The service supports education settings to enable all children with Autism/ social communication disorders to achieve their full potential.
The team works to support education settings to be Autism inclusive. Children’s progress is linked with the learning environment they are immersed in. The Wandsworth Autism Advisory Service will advocate for such an environment and will provide all necessary supports to education settings to achieve this.
The service offers a graduated response to support children/young people with a diagnosis of autism and those who are on the specialist assessment pathway. The Universal offer is open to all Wandsworth settings/ schools. The Universal offer consists of the following:
- 90 minute Autism Education Trust (AET) Training delivered at settings/ schools at a time convenient to you
- 6 hour AET Training delivered centrally free of charge
- Learning walks to support schools/ settings evaluate and enhance their inclusive practice
- Telephone consultation service Monday- Wednesday afternoon 1-5pm
- Face to face consultations bookable in advance
- Training and advice to set up specific interventions – Zones of Regulation, Attention Group, Lego Group, TEACCH, Social communication groups
All training can be booked by emailing Autismtraining@wandsworth.gov.uk
For other enquiries please email Autismadvisory@wandsworth.gov.uk
Some children will display a higher level of need at different times and will require a specific package of time limited Targeted support. Pupils accessing services at this level will also benefit from the range of activities at a universal level. Targeted support will be based on an agreed plan with clear and measurable outcomes that will be evaluated in conjunction with parents and the setting at the end of the intervention. Targeted support will be delivered by a lead professional from the Advisory Service working alongside an identified member of staff from the setting.
Targeted support may consist of the following:
- Observations of a child in school/setting, with feedback to SENCo/parents and a report with key recommendations
- Advice and guidance in setting up a bespoke intervention for a child, based on an assessment of needs e.g. Zones of Regulation
- Attendance at TAC meetings for referred children
- Specialist assessments and therapeutic interventions as appropriate
- Advice to develop behaviour support plans, including functional analysis observations
- Reflective space for adults working with the child to discuss a complex case
. Targeted support is accessed via the attached referral. All referrals are triaged weekly and the attached flowchart provides further details about the way that support is offered.
Completed referrals for targeted support should be emailed to Autismadvisory@wandsworth.gov.uk
Who to contact
Where to go
- Early Years Centre
1, Siward Road
- SW17 0LA
- Get directions
- Referral Details
This service is for Wandsworth's children and young people with a diagnosis of autism (and those on the specialist pathway) and for their parents and families.
- Universal Support is open to all Wandsworth settings and schools.
- Targeted Support is available to Wandsworth children in Wandsworth mainstream provisions who have an autism diagnosis or are on the specialist diagnostic pathway.
Last updated: 06 Jul 2020