Parent and Child Development Team - Coronavirus
Parent and Child Development are supporting with a WhatsApp for parents with SEND activities, Bucket Sessions and Visual Song Boards for their families. They are also developing Virtual Videos of play and singing sessions for parents to incorporate into the play schedule they are implementing at home.
They can also provide toys pick up for parents to come, one by one, without children, to get toys, although they will need to call and arrange a time between 11.00 – 3.00 and also agree to social distance. Please note that the toy pick up is only during Term Time Only.
This service provides Specialist Play Sessions, Counselling, Family Support and a Toy Library for children aged 0-8 with developmental and/or behavioural difficulties linked to a disability in Wandsworth.
Many of the families accessing this service have not been able to attend mainstream activities because of their child’s social & communication difficulties/disability. The service can help with strategies for managing behaviour, modelling how these strategies can work within the group sessions and exploring what the children might be expressing through their behaviours. They help to set up routines, explore feeding issues, toileting, and communication needs.
- Specialist Play Sessions: these sessions are not just about play, although play is important. They are for children (aged 0-5) and their parents together. The aim is to support parents through a process of understanding their child’s needs, developing their play and social skills and managing some undesired behaviours. Parents also have the opportunity to meet other parents in similar circumstances.
- Counselling Service: the service offers Counselling for parents of children with disabilities. This can also be longer term for on-going behavioural concerns or any other life issues that parents might be finding difficult. Therapy can include use of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy) strategies and an initial assessment is offered to agree an appropriate therapeutic approach. The Team does on-going family work and continue to support many families who have moved on from our service.
- Family support: families are introduced to other relevant services, statutory and voluntary, and the service will refer them if needed. Parents can be accompanied to other settings or agencies, if that would be helpful.
- Toy Library: the service has a well resourced toy library and can offer advice and support with appropriate play activities if needed.
Please contact Sue Price for more information.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Early Years Centre
1 Siward Road
- SW17 0LA
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Friday 9.30 - 5.00
- Free to Wandsworth families
- Age Ranges
0 -5 years for play sessions
0-8 for counselling & family support
- Other notes
Complaints, compliments and comments: Any complaints about this service should be addressed to Sue Price in the first instance. If the complaint is not resolved by this method, it should be directed to: Susan Reid, Deputy Manager Early Years Intervention Support Service on 020 8871 8789 or firstname.lastname@example.org
To use this service, children need to be referred through the Multi Agency Complex Needs Panel (MACNP) (formerly Single Pathway). Children are referred to the MACNP by Health Professionals. Children do not need to have had an assessment or a diagnosis, but there needs to be concerns around their development to access this provision.
Last updated: 31 Mar 2020