Balham Nursery School
Balham Nursery School and Children's Centre is an outstanding provider of nursery education and is the oldest of the three state nursery schools in Wandsworth. The school was set up in the early thirties by members of the local community and others dedicated to the principles of nursery education. Our building in Endlesham Road was bought by public subscription and amongst those who made donations were the late Queen Mary, the then Major and Mrs Clement Attlee and Lady Megan Lloyd George. The school was officially opened on the 23rd May 1935 by Lady Astor, the first woman to become an MP.
As a Wandsworth maintained school we follow the admissions criteria and procedures in the publication Choosing Nursery Education in Wandsworth. This document is produced by Wandsworth Council and will be available in the Autumn Term. Sometimes incoming parents seek a full time place for their child and the criteria for full time admission to nursery will be outlined in the booklet. The main criteria for full time places relate to the needs of the child. There is just one criterion for a full-time place which is applicable to single parents who are working or in full-time education. There is no criterion applicable to families where there are two parents working or studying. The local authority’s policy is to make provision for part time places for 3-4 year olds and full time places for children in reception classes from the September after a child has had his/her 4th birthday.
Who to contact
Where to go
72, Endlesham Road
- SW12 8JL
- Get directions
Buses: 155, 355 Underground:Balham Overground: Balham
- Children are referred through the Early Years Foundation.
- Has Provision
- Please contact nursery to discuss wheelchair access requirements.
- Please contact nursery to discuss other needs.
- Please contact nursery to discuss specific dietary requirements.
- The nursery welcomes children from all backgrounds.
- Places for 2 year olds at this children's centre are allocated through the local authority on a needs basis. For further information please contact the Family Information Service on 020 8871 7899
- 3 & 4 year old funding
- 2 year old funding
Opening Times & Facilities
- Opening Times
Opening Times Day Opening Time Closing Time Monday - Friday 9:00am 3:15pm
- Ofsted URN
- Link to latest ofsted inspection report
- Inspection history
Inspection History Inspection Date Inspection type Inspection Outcome 03/06/2009 EYR Inspection Good 20/01/2015 EYR Inspection Outstanding 09/01/2018 EYR Inspection Outstanding
Last updated: 10 Dec 2018