Wandsworth Vision Support Service (WVSS)
Wandsworth Vision Support Service (WVSS) provides flexible, comprehensive support to all children and young people (CYP) from birth to 25 years with visual impairment with and without additional needs in the Wandsworth borough.
We offer expertise in Multi-Sensory Impairment (Deafblind) and we work together with the Hearing Support Service in order to provide this Service.
- We work with CYP in mainstream and special schools and also with pre-school children in their homes.
- We teach CYP to develop specialist skills, including Braille, independent life skills and relevant IT skills.
- In the school setting, we advise regarding modified enlarged materials, individual IT needs and specialist equipment.
- For home visits, we devise individual programmes, which are demonstrated to the parent/ carer.
- We offer access to student and parent/ carer counsellors.
- Our mobility teachers work with our CYP to develop independent mobility skills and they carry out environmental audits.
- We provide weekly playgroup sessions for pre-schoolers, which also enable parents and carers to meet each other. We welcome children with sensory impairments into our playgroup.
- We offer family events, including our annual Family Fun Day, Family Activities Days and Swim Days.
- We invite students in mainstream settings to events, such as audio-described theatre trips that include touch tours.
- Throughout the year, we offer a variety of training to parents and carers, professionals and groups of CYP.
A crucial part of our role is to ensure visual accessibility to our CYP within their own setting. The rooms within the Lodge Family Centre used for playgroup, counselling and training are wheelchair accessible. We meet parents/ carers in a location that is convenient for the families.
Please call for further information.
Who to contact
Where to go
- The Lodge
Linden Lodge School
61 Princes Way
- SW19 6JB
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Session Information
Most work is carried out during term time
although we are able to respond to queries throughout the year. We also offer some visits during school holidays when needed
such as accompanying families to hospital appointments and carrying out home visits to some of our pre-school children
who require regular input. Most visits take place between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. although we always endeavour to respond to individual need.
- There is no charge for visually impaired CYP who are residents of Wandsworth. There is no charge for visually impaired CYP not residing in Wandsworth, who are attending the borough’s maintained schools.Charges relating to non-Wandsworth visually impaired CYP placed in the borough’s non-maintained schools need to be discussed with the Team Leader.
- Age Ranges
- Birth to 25 years
- Referral Details
Referrals can be made by professionals or parents/ carers who are concerned about their child’s vision. Referral forms are available on our website at www.wandsworthvisionsupportservice.org.uk. All CYP will need to have been seen by a medical eye specialist first before a referral is made to our Service.
Complaints, concerns or compliments about this service or activity
Feedback is obtained from families and schools. We use this feedback to help us review and improve our Service. If you have a particular concern please, in the first instance, speak to the member of staff concerned. If it cannot be resolved, please contact Sabrina Djazoul, Head of Service: Call her on 020 8394 5944.
To use this service you:
- Can refer yourself or your child, or you can be
- Referred by your doctor/specialist or another health practitioner.
- All children or young people will need to have been seen by a medical eye specialist first before a referral is made to this Service.
Last updated: 17 Jul 2019