Falcon Grove Family Assessment Centre
Falcon Grove Family Assessment Centre is part of Wandsworth Children's Specialist Services and is one of two Family Assessment Centres in the borough. The centre provides residential based assessments, intervention and support, to young children and their families who live in Wandsworth and surrounding London boroughs who may be ‘in need’ or at risk of harm or neglect. The service is targeted to meet the needs of the most vulnerable young children, whose parents face considerable challenges and difficulties in caring for their families and where the local authority may be initiating care proceedings or where proceedings are already underway.
Referrals are made by Wandsworth social workers, other local authorities and the courts. The centre provides the following assessments and interventions:
- Parenting assessments
- Assessments directed by the family courts
- Pre-birth assessments
- Pre-residential / Viability assessments and assessed contact
- Reunification with birth family
Falcon Grove works in partnership with parents and family members to assess the needs of their children and to provide support and intervention whilst assessing parents' ability to meet those needs. The assessments are designed to meet the differing needs of each family. Assessment packages may include direct work with parents or children; play sessions; and psychological/cognitive assessments and programmes of work. The team has staff accredited to use Parent Assessment Manual Software (PAMS), the Attachment Style Interview (ASI) and the Triple P parenting programme.
All our interventions seek to maximise opportunities for children to achieve their potential within their families and communities. We may have to recommend that it is not possible for children to remain with their parent(s) and when this happens we contribute to the thinking about alternative permanent options, which will be identified with least possible delay.
The Centre has five self-contained flats for residential assessments. There is office space and rooms are available for meetings and direct work sessions with parents and children. There is also a garden and outside play area.
Our work demonstrates a commitment to:
- The principles of the Children Act (1989 & 2004) and the Department of Health (DoH) Framework for the Assessment of Children in Need and their Families
- Working Together to Safeguard Children (DfE, 2015)
- The key findings of Safeguarding Children Across Services: Messages from Research (Davies & Ward 2012) and Residential parenting assessments: uses, costs and contributions to effective and timely decision-making in public law cases: Research report (DfE 2014)
- London Child Protection Procedures
- The local Policies and Procedures of Wandsworth Department of Education and Social Services
Who to contact
Where to go
10, Falcon Grove
- SW11 2ST
- Get directions
Last updated: 24 May 2019