Wandsworth Parent Champions (blue tops) at the Mayors Lunch to mark World Disability Day 2019
Wandsworth's DCR, WAND and WAND+ card Parent Champion volunteers are parents or carers of a child or young person on the Disabled Children’s Register (DCR) who help to raise awareness of the benefits of joining the register. Parent Champions, having been through their own ups and downs, understand some of the challenges faced by other families and want to help make a difference for others.
As existing members of the Disabled Children’s Register, DCR Parent Champions can:
- tell parents, carers, professionals and young people about the DCR, WAND and WAND+ cards,
- assist parents carers and young people to complete the application form,
- explain the benefits of registering,
- signpost to other local services like THRIVE Wandsworth, Contact and Wandsworth Information Advice and Support Service.
DCR Parent Champions are also trained and supported by the DCR, WAND and WAND+ Team to
- approach local businesses to explain how offering support, assistance and recognition to WAND and WAND+ card holders makes business sense,
- encourage interested businesses to join as WAND makers.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- SEND Local Offer Team
- Parent Organisation
- Children with Disabilities Register (CDR)/WAND/WAND+/Short Breaks/Parent Champions/SEND Local Offer Team
Where to go
- DCR/WAND and WAND+ Team
4th Floor, Town Hall Extension
Wandsworth High Street
- SW18 2PU
- Get directions
If you are interested in becoming a DCR Parent Champion, we recruit our Parent Champions from DCR members. To find out more about the scheme, which is supported by Coram Family and Childcare please contact us, the DCR, WAND and WAND+ Team.
- Local Offer Age Bands
Transitions to Adulthood (16+)
Secondary (11-16 years)
Primary (4-10 years)
Early Years (0-4 years)
Last updated: 19 Jul 2021