Skip to main content

EEA nationals - No Recourse to Public Funds advice

This Citizens Advice Bureau website offers advice EEA nationals looking for work.

EEA nationals who come to the UK from abroad and want to claim certain benefits must satisfy the conditions of a test, known as the habitual residence test (HRT).

To satisfy these conditions, EEA nationals must prove they:

  • have a legal right to live in the UK. This is called the right to reside, and
  • intend to settle in the 'Common Travel Area' (the UK, Isle of Man, Channel Islands or Ireland) and make it your home for the time being. This is known as habitual residence.

Visit the website for more details.

Who to contact


Is this information correct?