Occupational Therapy (Children’s) - Coronavirus Update
Update on our services during the COVID-19 Pandemic January 2021
We can confirm that we are still operating and delivering therapy support wherever possible, provided it is safe and appropriate to do so.
We are currently able to offer assessments and reviews remotely with parents and SENCO’s in order to allow reduced face to face contact.
We will endeavour to deliver all statutory services as normal, but there may be some changes in the method of delivery as explained below.
For children with EHCPs or applying for an EHCPs:
- If your child has an EHCP your therapist will be contacting the school’s SENCO in order to set up a review. If your child is attending school this will be offered as a school visit. If your child is not attending school and has an agreed leave of absence from the school, we can offer you a remote review or a review in clinic. We will be wearing full PPE and you can use this video to prepare your child for our visit:-
- If you are in the process of applying for an EHCP you will be contacted by our department in order to arrange an assessment.
- If you would like to have a telephone contact from a therapist, please send a request to your therapist and or to the generic inbox mentioned below.
For children without EHCPs:
- There may be a delay in initial appointments due to staff redeployment to adult care.
- Your child’s therapy may be delayed.
- If your child’s care is deemed urgent, your therapist will be in touch to discuss the best way forward in assessing your child.
We recognise that families will still need help and advice during this difficult time and while we endeavour to answer individual queries during this time, we request that families contact the email@example.com inbox which is being monitored by a member of the team. Non-urgent queries will be recorded but may not receive an immediate response.
Our administrator can be phoned on the following number:
Tel: 0208 725 5748
Our operating hours are 9am-5pm Monday – Friday (year round)
We are closed on Bank Holidays
Government guidance around social distancing and self-isolation can be a very isolating time for families, especially for those who have children with additional needs. Our top priority is the health, safety and wellbeing of the children and families with whom we work.
Below are a few helpful tips from your Children’s Occupational Therapy team:
- Your Therapy Source – www.yourtherapysource.com/freestuff
- Contains wonderful resources for developing motor skills, self-care skills and self-regulation
- NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde - https://www.nhsggc.org.uk/kids/resources/
- Contains downloadable resources for child development and life skills
- Motor skills and activities
- Postural Program and Self-Regulation Strategies
- NHS Change4Life - find indoor activities, accessible games and recipe ideas: https://www.nhs.uk/change4life/
- Cerebral Palsy Sports UK have weekly updates: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Royal College of Occupational Therapy has created a resource to support people who are undertaking social distancing and for families to support their children while schools are closed. This can be found here: https://www.rcot.co.uk/staying-well-when-social-distancing
- Contact is another Wandsworth Service that may be able to help or point you in the right direction, link below.
- The Child Mind Institute has a wealth of information and resources to help parents support their children during this very difficult time including:
- Coping with the coronavirus
- Autism and the Coronavirus
- Managing Anxiety
- Discipline and Behaviour
- Dealing with Loss
Head of Children’s Therapies – Sophie Scott
Clinical Team Lead for Children’s Occupational Therapy – Elgonia Dreyer
Administrator for Children’s Occupational Therapy – Caitlin Greenaway
- Please refer to the referral criteria attached.
- Using our referral form (word) or via EHITS (Wandsworth Education Professionals must use EHITS) – The referrals can be sent via email: email@example.com or via post: Children’s Occupational Therapy, Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton Lane, Roehampton, SW15 5PN.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Children's Therapies, Ground Floor
Queen Marys Hospital
- SW15 5PN
- Get directions
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Monday - Friday: 9am - 5pm
- Age Ranges
- 0 to 16 years
- Referral required
- Referral Details
Professionals working with families in Wandsworth can make a referral using an Early Help Assessment via EHITS.
To access these services you need to be:
- Referred by your doctor/consultant or other health practitioner,
- Referred by a professional using the Early Help Assessment
Last updated: 11 Jan 2021