Get parental responsibility for the child
If you want to care for a child long term, you can get parental responsibility for the child by applying for a Child Arrangement Order or Special Guardianship Order.
You may also be able to adopt the child.
Having parental responsibility means you can:
- get unpaid parental leave for a child under 5
- choose the child’s school
- agree to the child’s medical treatment
- look after the child’s finances and property
- apply for a passport for the child
- stop the child being taken abroad without your permission
Visit the website for more details.
Who to contact