Cygnet Parents/Carers Support Programme
Cygnet is a 6 week course for families with children aged 6-19 years with a diagnosis of Autism. It helps families to understand their child’s diagnosis and how they can best support them.
The sessions cover a variety of topics such as: sensory needs, communication, what is Autism and understanding behaviour.
There is also a reunion session at the end of the course to discuss any further issues.
The programme is designed:
- to increase parents' understanding of autistic spectrum conditions
- to help parents develop their knowledge on how a child on the autistic spectrum experiences the world and what drives their behaviour
- to guide parents through practical strategies they can use with children
- to direct parents to relevant ASC resources
- to give parents the opportunity to meet with other parents who have had similar experiences and to gain support and learn from each other
This programme is delivered over six, two and a half - three hour sessions work towards behaviour management and covers a number of topics:
- Autism and diagnosis
- Sensory Issues
- Understanding behaviour
- Managing behaviour
- Choice of topic decided by parents/carers
Who to contact
Where to go
- Early Years Centre
1, Siward Road
- SW17 0LA
- Get directions
The group is run Borough-wide and can be accessed through an assessment, usually an Early Help Assessment (EHA), from a professional.
Alternatively, parents and carers can refer themselves.
Last updated: 13 Sep 2018